Friday, May 13, 2011

Something to ponder

I met with my trainer from Lifetime today for the last of my three free sessions. Overall I liked meeting with her because she taught me some new routines that I can do at the gym to incorporate more strength training. One of the routines I can even do at home with weights that I have. I'm still not sure if I will quit the gym or just put my membership on hold...but I'm going to do something because there's no sense in me paying for the membership when I'm committed to p90x for now.

Yesterday was YogaX. I went to the Washington Bridal Expo a few months ago and there were some people there from p90x marketing Shakeology. I talked to them and told them how much I hated Yoga and they recommended that I do the first 30 minutes and last 30 minutes so that I get the benefits of the vinyasas but also the good stretches toward the end. Ever since I started doing this I've loved YogaX! An hour and 30 minutes was way too long (which is how long it takes to do the whole video) so I would just skip the whole thing. Doing an hour is a much better option than not doing anything at all! I didn't do p90x today since I met with my trainer and we did a circuit of strength training moves.

I've been trying to eat mostly vegan but have incorporated eggs back into my diet. I've also been more lenient about eating foods with milk in them, but I'm still trying to steer clear of dairy foods (except eggs). I still haven't had cheese because of how much it upset my stomach when I had some on Easter.

I've been thinking a lot recently about how changing your diet to vegetarian or vegan seems to bother a lot of people. This doesn't make much sense to me since my eating habits don't affect anyone other than me. But for some reason there are people who think it's unhealthy or whatever and can't seem to let it go. To those people I say, leave me alone! I'm doing this for me and not hurting anyone by doing it (actually I'm doing the opposite and saving some pretty cute animals). I've also been reading a lot of books about vegan and vegetarian diets ("The Kind Life," "Skinny Bitch," "Veganist," and "The China Study") and am blown away by the harm that eating animal products can cause (I'm talking health-wise not animal cruelty...although that's obvious)! I'm not trying to push my views on anyone here...some of the stories are just crazy. There are so many stories of people who have been diagnosed with terminal cancer and then they switch to a plant-based diet, and not only does their cancer not progress but it goes away completely! Totally remarkable if you ask me.

Anyways this is just something I've been thinking about. I've changed how I eat to focus on being healthy and I've noticed a ton of health benefits since doing so (clear skin, better sleep, being "regular" if you will ahem) and I would really like people to stop talking trash. I'm not going around preaching and trying to make other people change their diet, so I'd appreciate the same respect in return. Many many thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment